Tuesday, May 8, 2007

TheHill.com - Leahy calls motorcades ‘out of control’

TheHill.com - Leahy calls motorcades ‘out of control’: "Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) Tuesday arrived late at a panel hearing on the Real ID Act and blamed his tardiness on a traffic jam caused by a massive motorcade. Before starting the hearing, Leahy took some time to criticize the prevalence and size of motorcades in Washington, saying, “Somewhere we’ve gotten out of control.” “I recall when I was a law student here at Georgetown, one time up in the Capitol I got on an elevator and stopped because there was then-Vice President Lyndon Johnson and one agent with him,” Leahy said. “He said, ‘Boy, are you getting on or off?’ I said I was getting on, Mr. Vice President. He grabbed me by the belt and pulled me on. He said, ‘Well, get on.’”"